Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baby Pink Coin Quilt

I've been inspired by all the talk about coin quilts lately. So when I wanted to make a friend a baby quilt that's what I thought of first. Here's my scrappy pink coin quilt.



The quilitng is very amatuer. I need to practice straight line quilting.


Here's a question for those of you who are more experienced with it:


When quilting straight lines do you sew them all in the same direction or do you turn your quilt and sew in the opposite direction each time your go across your quilt? I had some trouble keeping it all nice and flat on and I wondered if it was because I should have been sewing in the same direction each time? What works for you?

I ended up quilting little squiggly flowers in the middle of each colored rectangle.

And of course, washing and drying helped the whole quilt to look nice and wrinkley in a good way, the way it should look.

I think I will be making another one of these to keep.

14 comments:

Mary said...

I'm not a machine quilter but just wanted you to know I like your squiggly flowers. They're really cute! I'm sure your friend will love the quilt.

MandMStudio said...

Very pretty:) I hope to be making a stacked coin quilt soon.

Elizabeth said...

I love it! So very girly!

Allie said...

That is darling! I love the flowers! I can't do that. Or rather, I don't think I can, so I don't, lol.
On the quilting, it depends. On a large quilt, I start in the middle, and quilt out to the ends - so no turning with every line. On a small quilt, you can turn it every time, but you really shouldn't have to. It's all in the basting - make sure you've basted really, really well. I use pins and lots of them.
Good job, I love this quilt!

Kelly O. said...

Looks beautiful. Before I read your post I just studied your quilt and I really admired your quilting and then I read that you felt it needed work! I think it's lovely!

Lisa said...

What an adorable quilt and you did a great job w/ the lines...i love the little flowers!

Laura said...

Well, I can't answer any of your questions, but I just wanted to say that your quilt is so cute. I love the pink and white color combo.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

oh your quilt is so cute! when i quilt with straight lines i turn and go in opposite directions.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your quilt is adorable! The flower in the rectangle is a great idea!

Nanette Merrill said...

I quilt both ways you describe. I think using the walkign foot works best. I lost mine recently (I think it fell in the trash and I didn't notice it). So I ordered a used one. So pricey! Ick. I hate to think about it. I could have used that for fabric! Your quilt is darling.

heyjackieday said...

So, kind of clueless here, but why is it called a coin quilt?

Allison said...

It looks great! My lines are never perfect, its what make it handmade!

Allison said...

If your sewing with a walking foot you shouldn't have to worry about the direction, if not, it could bunch up on you. This quilt is darling! Thanks for stopping by and linking, -Allison

Marlublu said...

Your quilt is so pretty. I wouldn't worry about the lines being really straight. You might want to try marking it with chalk powder or a water soluble marking pen.