Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Making the Blackberry Pie

Here's an update on the Blackberry Pie quilt.

I've been making strips galore. I don't really enjoy strip piecing. It beats the alternative though, so I do it anyway. Why don't I like it? Well, look at those curvy strips. I don't have enough patience to get the grain perfectly straight as I cut a gazillion strips so they are almost always curvy. And even though I'm a far cry from being a perfectionist, it sort of drives me crazy.

For this quilt, I'm cutting them down into very short pieces so this curve won't really matter, though. And I've started assembling them into small blocks. Um... 2 down. Approximately 300 to go.

5 comments:

Purple and Paisley said...

my strips always curve, too...=(

guess who loves the purple???!!! =)...it's going to be wonderful!

jacquie said...

You and me both with the curvy strips. As hard as I try with my cutting, it's always a struggle.

Elizabeth said...

Mine curve too. It's going to be great and I can't wait to see it done.

Julie said...

I was wondering how your purple and cream was coming along. Now I know! I think with a steam iron and smaller squares/strips you can tame the curvies into place. Sometimes I clip little snips into the seam allowance to make things fit - like when sewing around a curve. I have to be careful not to clip too far - with only a 1/4 inch seam there's not much to work with. Keep up the good work!

Abby and Stephanie said...

It's going to be gorgeous AND delicious when it's finished.