Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quilting with ADHD

I think I may have quilters OCD or maybe ADD or ADHD or some other sort of Disorder. I just can't seem to stay with one project and get it done in any sort of timely manner. Every other week I get excited about a new project. I feel like I haven't been able to buckle down and really make progress on anything lately because all I want to do is look at fabric, look at patterns, drool over other people's quilts, and dream about the quilts I could make. But settle down and get serious about making them, one by one? Well, that's harder to do. That involves time, concentration, energy and maybe a babysitter.

And so what do I do? I went and started another project yesterday. I think that makes three official quilts that I've either started or need to start or am planning to start or something like that in the past few weeks.
First, I've got to get going on the Two Color Challenge quilt! That one has a deadline of August 1, and I originally thought that wasn't going to be a big deal. But now, a month later, I haven't cut anything yet. Shh! Don't tell the other two color quilters or Nicole! (If you haven't checked out her blog- Sister's Choice Quilts, head over there now. She's got style. And I'm not just saying that so she won't kick me out of the Two Color Challenge!) What's my hold up? Well, I'm trying to exercise a little frugality. I need to buy 6 1/2 yards of cream, and I'm holding out for a sale of some sort. Lame. I know.

Second, I've just barely mentioned that I'm also participating in a non-blog exchange with some girls up in Utah. We all lived in the same neighborhood in Saratoga Springs for about 5 years and started quilting together as we were having our first babies, making our first homes and basically just starting out in life. I love this group of girls and am thrilled that they are letting me participate long distance now that I live down here in Houston. This block exchange will be in September. I decided on my block and bought my fabric for this last week. I'll post more about this later.

And now, I've gone and started another quilt with my sister. I was so inspired by Nanette's Mosiac Squares that she posted about almost two months ago. My sister came over, soon after, I showed it to her, and we both drooled and pledged to make that quilt (similar to my reaction last Tuesday to the Carpenter Stars quilt in the Quilt Sampler Magazine). Yesterday, as our children ran around, destroying her home by means of hotwheels, legos, and whatever else they could get their hands on, she and I started cutting into our scraps. This picture is the original quilt from McCalls Quilting Vintage Quilts Spring 2004. Have I ever mentioned how much I love scrap quilts? I know I have. But I'm saying it again.
Here's my start.

8 comments:

jacquie said...

I'll never tell! I know what you mean about flitting from one project to another. I even do that when I have a couple of hours to sew. Sew a bit on one, cut this one, quilt a bit. Not sure what that says about me!

Julie said...

Hi, you have hit some of my major "issues." For a while I had a policy of not starting a new quilt until I'd finished my work in progress. But, I've let that slide a bit - now I will start a new one when the in-progress is about 80% done. I know what you mean about waiting for a sale to pick up large pieces of cloth. The coupons come in the mail but sometimes the discount isn't valid for another two weeks! Like I can hang on to that bit-o-paper for that long. But, we try to do what we can. I like what looks like your itty-bitty scrap quilt. I might need to borrow that design.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love that quilt. Can't wait to see yours. All your squares are so pretty and old-fashioned looking.

Elizabeth said...

Ummmm.... haven't even started my blocks for the exchange. I told myself I had to finish my Strawberry Lillies quilt first. I'm a little burned out with it so I haven't touched it in a week. I haven't sewn in a week, but I've bought fabric for new projects, played on EQ and done lots of blog stalking. I miss you living by me. Together we could have some good sewing days and motivate each other to get our current projects finished!

Julia said...

I seem to have the same disorder. I seemed to be going at full speed all day yesterday, but when I dropped into bed last night, I felt that I hadn't accomplished anything. :) Today has been better.
You better get going on that Two Color quilt, I am watching you. lol
How big are you squares for the Mosaic? I really like this one. My scrap box is getting full again and this would be a great break from the string blocks I usually do.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the mosaic and love scrap quilts. It will be gorgeous. Many quilters have ADHD...it gets boring sometimes staying with the same project. I set aside days (whenever I'm in the mood) to sit and finish.

Anonymous said...

WOW! If you are going to attempt to sew all those little squares together than you have so much more patience than I do.

It will be super cute though when it's done!

Sunny said...

I just stumbled onto your blog. I am a quiltaholic myself and just wanted to assure you that you do not have quilter's ADD or ADHD or OCD at all. This is just the way of quilters. I am like this. I know many quilters that are the same. You are not alone for sure. The one you started here looks great so far! lol Cannot wait to see the "progress" reports.