Monday, April 14, 2008

Snow in Houston


Here's the result of many hours spent laboring over the sewing machine over the past several months. This isn't the best photo (sorry-you probalby won't ever find great photography on this blog), and its not ironed because I've got a sick baby and only had time to put the borders on today. I'm always anxious to show off all my piecing work when I get a top finished so I hardly ever wait to have it quilted before the show and tell.

I like to challenge myself and the feathered star block certainly was a challenge. I'm very happy with how this quilt has turned out. The original idea was to use an icy blue, white and the feathered star block to create a beauitful snowy quilt. Last winter I lived in Utah. Now we live in Houston. There will be no more snowy winters for me. But with this quilt I can remember the beauty of large snowflakes slowly falling while I'm sitting outside on my patio eating BBQ on New Years. :) I have to brag a little bit about Houston winters because there isn't much to brag about our summers.



9 comments:

Eileen said...

This feathered star is such a beautiful vintage pattern. You totally captured the snowflake look, and the blocks are so perfect! Can't wit to see it all put together and finished. I treasure for you to have in the Texas winters when you are missing the snow. :)

Elizabeth said...

It looks beautiful! It must have taken forever. I'm a little anti snow right now. Monday it was 81 degrees outside. Tuesday it snowed. That's Utah for you!

Jo-Anne said...

Absolutely beautiful. I am very impressed!
After living in AZ for about 18 months, this is the only kind of snow flake I enjoy seeing anymore! No more Utah winters for me.;)

Nanette Merrill said...

I love it!

Tara said...

Wow! I love how it turned out, Erica!! You have such artistic talent.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

The piecing on your star is really effective! I had to laugh when I saw your title - I lived in Houston for two years and loved the mild winters.

Vivian Love said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I've always wanted to do this pattern, but no patience with half-square triangles...even with all the speed methods. Great job! Have a great weekend.

Julie said...

You did an excellent job on the piecing! I like the white on blue - kind of like the colors of ice and snow drifts. Very nice effect.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Very ice job with the piecing. Feathered stars are one of my favorite patterns, but there is so much work involved!